Friday, May 21, 2010

Favorite Things #5

Got a reluctant writer?  I would be willing to guarantee that these Staedtler markers will change that.  NAYY (no affiliation, yada, yada...).



What I like about these is they come in wonderfully delicious colors although it seems the Germans forgot that purple is a basic color.  They will wash out of most fabrics (think: all the benefits of a Sharpie but without the permanency).  Also, they have a great tip that is virtually indestructable (I still like to have my own set though because I'm a control freak like that).  The package even states that you can leave the lid off for days and they won't dry out.  Hmmmm...may be a good selling point but I don't know that I'd go advertising that to children.  Anyway, the IE in me loves that the barrel also has an "ergonomic triangular shape for effortless writing".  At least that is what the package states but it IS true.  Plus the design of the plastic box is ingenious and oh so loverly.

I plan to start a family journal this summer and we'll use these to write in it with.  I have intended to do the family journal thing for the past 2 summers but we never seem to follow through.  I am really going to try to keep at it this summer.  I will even try to post about it in the future.  When Ms. Priss was in public school, the counselor (who was an amazing lady) hosted a workshop about keeping family journals.  The person presenting the idea said she got sick with some type of cancer and that became the only way she could communicate with her tween/teenage sons.  That gave me chills and sold me immediately.  She said it was her favorite thing to do to sit and leaf through those little pages of golden history.  I challenge you to start and keep up your own family journal.  Don't make it hard, don't overthink it, don't try to make it too structured or fancy. Just get a regular old spiral bound notebook (you can choose a pretty one, though) and have at it.

By the way today is the first day of our official summer break!  Woohoo!!!!

5 comments:

Debbie Phillips said...

Congrats on it being the first day of summer vacation. We have been on summer vacation for a week already.

Thanks for the product recommendation... I love colored pencils, markers, pens, etc. I am definitely interested and will check them out the next time I am at an office supply or craft store. I would love to have a set for my devotions/journal writing. I may even buy a set for each of the boys for next year's school.

Unknown said...

Ooooh those colors ARE delicious! And Amazon has them :) Wooohoo!

So, tell me more about the Family Journal! I'm dying to hear all about it. Sounds like something really precious...

Carla said...

Congratulations on another successful year!

Confessions Of A Homeschooler said...

That's great! I resorted to Sharpies to get my son to do his handwriting, and yes, they've ended up all over the place! Ugh! I'll have to check these out for next year as we have 1 week left til summer! Yay!

Isabel said...

Thanks for the suggestion on the markers. I'll have to find some :) Congrats on the start of your summer break. We just have a few more days left! I'm ready for some down time.