Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A great first day

What a great day we had!!! Today was our first day of school and what a blessing it was. First things first. Usually I am a big flake and I always kick myself thinking...oh I should have done that - whatever that was that I didn't do. But one thing I can proudly say is that I have been religious in taking pictures of the girls on their first day of school.





Well, here it is...a clean classroom!!! Take a good look. It won't stay this way for long.

This is what I started with (and pretty close to what it normally looks like)




I read them this sweet book about the meaning of our Pledge of Allegiance, got up and looked back and seriously this is how I found them. We recited the pledge many times last year but I never had sense about me to explain it to them. I think this REALLY meant something to them.

Adventures in MFW starts out the year with having you discuss names and your child's names. They suggest you discuss their names' meanings. Well, one of my DD's name meaning has a negative connotation. I have NEVER shared with her what her name meaning is defined as. I have a bit of a problem with the whole name meaning idea, anyway. Anyway, my philosophy is that name meanings honestly are of little or no value. Rather name meanings have come about because of the personality traits or lives of historical individuals who had those names. (This may be a classic argument like which came first, the chicken or the egg too, I guess).

So I altered the dialogue a little bit. Instead of what is in the TM, I said this instead:

When you meet someone new, one of the first things you learn is their name. Everyone has a name. And names are very special. We remember people by their names. When you make an impression/memory on someone they remember you by your name. Even though you didn't pick your name it is part of what makes you, YOU. So how do you want your name remembered?


I wrote down some things that they and I thought about them and put their name at the top of the page. They WANTED to add to the list so it went in one of their workboxes to be completed later on. And the completed sheet? It will go in their notebook. Have I mentioned I love this curriculum.




Finally, our Red, White and Blue snack. I knew I was stretching it to get Ms. Priss to eat strawberries and I knew better than to even consider blueberries. But I figure, you can eat just about anything dipped in chocolate then sprinkles. Needless to say it was a hit.


Oh my gosh...this is soooo good!



Thumbs up!



Anywhooo...thought I'd share how I'm incorporating workboxes. At least for this week (and maybe even for a few more days) I am following the advice of MFW and using a gentle approach. And uh...making my life easier in the process. Therefore, some of the group activities I am going ahead and filling workbox drawers with. These are my filled workbox drawers for the 2nd day of week 1.

Drawer #1: My "Why You're Named..." letter to her.
(Oh yes, did I mention how much I love this curriculum?)



Drawer #2: Map/Geography Activity




Drawer #3: Science



Drawer #4: Read Aloud.
(This is a Beautiful Feet book - wonderful books)



Drawer #5: Pattern Block Activity Sheet
(the one extra thing that I threw in)



Drawer #6: Silent Reading - 10 min.
(they will choose one of the Book Basket books)

Both sets of drawers this week are pretty much identical. In future weeks I will post a schedule and we will probably do our Calendar activities, Bible, History and/or Science first thing. Then I will load up workboxes with Primary Language Lessons, Spelling Power, Saxon Math, Art assignments and any other extra manipulatives I'd like them to do.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your school room. It looks very organized and attractive.
Blessings
Diane

Carla said...

It all look absolutely fun and wonderful. I'll have to come to school one day!

Carla said...

It all look absolutely fun and wonderful. I'll have to come to school one day!

Isabel said...

I love your school room...where did you find pink chairs?! Your girls are adorable. Sounds like you had a great first day and I'm even more excited to start now. Oh, also love the snack idea. Think I'll have to copy. :) Congratulations!

Ginger said...

Isabel the pink chairs were from a can! I spray painted old grungy ones out of necessity. I got those desks and chairs for a song and DH so graciously cleaned them up for me. Isn't he a sweetheart?

Whole Hearted Christian Home School said...

It looks like your girls are having a wonderful time learning! I love your school room! It looks just like something straight out of Pottery Barn! I love all your posts! I am using MFW K & Adventures.....we LOVE MFW!!